The sciatic nerve extends from your lower back, through your hips and buttocks, and down each leg. Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is compressed, causing painful symptoms. Fortunately, this condition can be treated by our chiropractors at Williams Chiropractic & Decompression in Greensboro.
Who Is At Risk For Sciatica?
Although anyone can develop sciatica, certain factors can increase your risk of developing this condition. These factors include:
- Age: As you get older, changes occur in your spine, such as bone spurs and herniated discs which are the most common causes of sciatica.
- Prolonged sitting: People who lead sedentary lifestyles are more likely to develop sciatica than active people.
- Obesity: Excess weight puts excess pressure on your spine that can trigger spinal changes, causing sciatica.
- Occupation: Certain jobs can increase your risk for sciatica. If your job requires you to twist your back often or heavy lifting, your chance increases. The same is true if you drive a vehicle for a living. A work injury can also cause injuries that result in sciatica.
- Diabetes: Diabetes can increase your risk of nerve damage, resulting in sciatica.
The Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica causes pain that begins in the lower back, travels down through the buttocks and the hips and down one leg. Some people have a dull aching pain, while others compare the pain to an electric shock. The pain is often made worse when coughing, sneezing or standing up after a long period of sitting. In some cases, sciatica can cause numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness in the affected leg and foot.
When sciatica is first diagnosed, your doctor will likely prescribe muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory medication, and prescription strength pain medication. They might also recommend a corticosteroid injection. While these treatment options will help with the pain, they are just short-term solutions.
If you are looking for a long-term solution, schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors. We can use spinal manipulation to put the herniated disc back into place. The adjustment will also restore your range of motion in the spine and restore the vertebral discs that are misaligned.
Get Sciatica Treatment in Greensboro, NC
If you are suffering from the symptoms of sciatica, schedule an appointment at Williams Chiropractic & Decompression in Greensboro. We will perform a series of adjustments to treat the condition and ease your pain. We can help with other issues such as neck pain and back pain caused by whiplash and other health issues. To schedule an appointment, give us a call today at (336) 299-3037.